The Headway photoresist spinner is an intermediate spinner between the Laurel Spinner (Resist Spinning Only - No Wafer Cleaning) and the Solitec Spinner (General use spinning and cleaning) used for spinning on SU8 and photoresist - no SOG please . The Headway Spinner has two chucks. The 4" chuck is designed for spinning and cleaning 4" wafers. The smaller chuck can be used for smaller items such as glass slides and 3" photomasks. Below are guidelines of basic operation and cleaning.
The theory of operating the Headway Spinner is similar to operating any other spinner.
- Make sure that the air wafer wand on the right side of the table is tied in a knot. If it's not be sure to do so. Otherwise the wafer chuck cannot build up enough suction to start the spin cycle.
- Make sure the wafer spinning area is clean and a clean room wipe is in the spinner basin.
- See proper wipe installation:
- Flip the power switch on the bench top controller console. Set wafer spin speed and spin duration on the bench top controller console.
- See Operation Console (right)
- Place the wafer on your chuck of choice. (The Chuck can be removed by pulling directly upward on it).
- Turn the vacuum on by flipping the toggle switch on the operation console under the table and below the spinner. The vacuum gauge should go up to about 20 inches of Hg
- See Vacuum Gauge:
- After wafer stops spinning, turn off the vacuum and remove the wafer. If the towel needs replacing, replace it.
Notes for SU8 users
When using SU8 it may not be possible to have a absorbent towel in the wafer basin.
It is imperative that the basin be cleaned out immediately with Acetone and IPA after using SU8.